Named for General Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox” of the American Revolution, the hotel opened in 1924 as the largest and grandest in the Carolinas. It was originally built by local investors at a cost of $1.5 million from plans by noted New York architect W.L. Stoddard, who also built the gracious Poinsett Hotel in Greenville, SC. Throughout the years, many notable historic and famous clientele enjoyed the hotel’s full service and convenient location. In 1996, an extensive restoration earned the hotel the esteemed National Trust Award and once again the Francis Marion opened its doors as Charleston’s Grand Hotel. More recent refurbishments have added to the comforts of today and enhanced the hotel’s historic ambiance with sleek room décor reminiscent of the 1920’s grandeur.